Provisional Driving Licence Info...

Provisional Driving Licence - Help & Advice

The provisional licence is required in order to take the theory test & learn to drive - you can apply for it 3 months before your 17th birthday but it can't be used until you are 17. The provisional licence is made up of 2 parts:

  • The provisional licence photo ID card
  • The provisional licence paper counterpart

It's essential that you keep both parts of the provisional driving licence in a safe place because you will need them as ID to take the theory test and practical driving test.The DSA will accept no other identification and many test candidates have had their test cancelled because of a lost provisional licence counterpart.

Provisional Driving Licence Help

Can I apply for a provisional driving licence?

You can apply for a provisional driving licence as long as you meet the following requirements:

  • are a resident of Great Britain
  • can meet the minimum age requirement
  • can meet the minimum eyesight requirement
  • are currently not prevented from driving for any reason
  • can pay 50.00 by Mastercard, Visa, Maestro, Electron, Delta or Solo debit or credit card
  • have a valid UK passport or another form of identity
  • can provide addresses of where you have lived over the last three years

How do I apply for the provisional driving licence

1) Register for a Government Gateway ID and Password Register online here
2) Log on & go through the online application process Log on
Whilst going through the application process you will need A valid debit or credit card
Your UK passport if you have one
Details of previous addresses
The DVLA has produced an easy to follow video guide DVLA online provisional licence guide
By Post
1) Complete a D1 form Available from the post office or through the DVLA
Order a Provisional Licence D1 Form
What you need to send Completed & signed D1 form
A photograph
An accepted form of ID
Accepted forms of ID Full valid current passport (can be foreign passport)
Identity card issued by a member state of EC/EEC (excluding Sweden)
Travel documents issued by the Home Office
UK certificate of naturalisation
What you need to send if you have a new UK digital passport Completed & signed D1 form
A photograph
Your 9 digit passport number
Where to send itDVLA,
SA99 1AD

How long will it take to get my provisional licence?

If you apply for your provisional licence online the DVLA will aim to deliver it within 2 weeks. If you apply by post, it will take up to 3 weeks.

If, for any reason, your personal details or health details need to be checked, it will take longer.

I've lost my provisional licence, do I need my driver number to get another one?

Providing that none of your details have changed, you will need to give your driver number OR full name, date of birth and also confirm your UK address.

If your photocard and paper counterpart have been lost or stolen, you can apply for a duplicate licence by telephone using a credit or debit card. The fee for a duplicate licence is 20.00. The DVLA accepts Visa, Eurocard, Mastercard and Maestro. To use this service ring 0870 240 0009, Monday to Friday 8.00 am - 8.30 pm or Saturday 8.00 am - 5.30 pm.

I've lost the provisional licence counterpart, what should I do?

The 2 most important things you need to take to your driving test are the provisional licence and paper counterpart - without both of these, you won't be allowed to take a driving test. If you have lost either, you will need to apply for a duplicate through the DVLA as soon as possible (a duplicate will cost 20).

The quickest way to apply for a duplicate is to ring the DVLA duplicate service on 0300 790 6801 (they will accept card payment - Visa, Eurocard, Mastercard, Solo, Electron and Maestro). You could also apply for a duplicate online or by completing and sending the Form D1 (available at the Post Office) to the DVLA.